A listing of Korean food stores

by Philip Gowman on 25 June, 2007

in Food & Drink | Food stores | Koreans in UK | Koreatowns | Yellow Pages

Sitting at the counter when I ordered my lunchtime chicken katsu curry bento box at my local Japanese takeaway the other day was a copy of Eat-Japan magazine – a brochure promoting all the Japanese restaurants and food shops in London. The brochure also has a directory of some more general oriental food stores. I list below the ones which look like they do Korean groceries, and I’ll update the list as people tell me of more (thanks for the Manchester one, Beccy).

In London / New Malden
Rail: Disley
In York:
Ever New
3/4 Bridge Street,
York,
Y01 6DD

Online, there’s OrientalMart (thanks for reminding me, Raku) which does some Korean products, and the Korean-only SKMart, based in Wimbledon.

In addition, here are the websites of some Chinese foodstores which might do a few Korean groceries:

• Hoo Hing (retail outlets in Romford, Enfield, Hackney, Mitcham and Park Royal)
  • Loon Fung (outlets in Alperton, Chinatown, Silvertown and Tottenham)
  • SeeWoo (outlets in Glasgow, Greenwich and Chinatown)
  • Wing Yip (outlets in Birmingham, Croydon, Cricklewood and Manchester)

Send me an email or leave a comment if you know of any more.

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Raku June 25, 2007 at 2:40 pm

http://www.orientalmart.co.uk/ has korean foods on there.

koreanjase June 25, 2007 at 6:15 pm

There is also a Korean shop that has just opened behind Waitrose (Finchley Rd near Swiss Cottage), which is about 1 min walk from Finchley Road Tube station… But I can’t remember what it is called. It is quite small, but cheaper than Central London, though more expensive than the Korean shops in Golders Green and New Malden.

daeguowl June 26, 2007 at 3:30 pm

You can get korean food in Southampton quite easily as well and there is even a Korean restaurant in Bournemouth as well.

flashparry July 9, 2007 at 12:06 am

In York there is:

Ever New
3/4 Bridge Street,
York,
Y01 6DD

Downstairs has lots of stationary/gifts from Korea. Upstairs is a Korean supermarket (plus Japanese and Chinese food too). Opened last year – I no longer have to drive 200 miles down to New Malden for kimchi :)

jojobaby May 19, 2008 at 8:56 am

This chinese supermarket is ok for oriental food in general. They are quite local to me, and I can usually get what I need just by popping in. The other korean shops in bristol are really small, and tend to stock a lot of things out of date, so I don’t bother. Has anyone else found this problem with korean shops in UK?

jojobaby May 19, 2008 at 8:56 am

sorry – here’s the link!

Jean-Pierre December 14, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Wing Yip – Chinese & Oriental supermarket. Mostly Chinese food, but also some Korean products (& Japanese, Thai etc). There are several stores around the UK, with one in Cricklewood, NW London, and one in Croydon.

Jen Lee October 23, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Hello,

I am a student who just came to London (Camden) recently, and I am hoping to find some good korean restaurants, super markets, and possibly korean church near Camden, London. Obviously I don’t know much about the areas in london and etc., so I’d really appreciate if anyone could give me some advices on which ones are good and which ones would be the closest one from the camden area.

Thanks for all of your help and time in advance, and hope to hear from you soon!

=)

Philip Gowman October 24, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Well, you’re on the right page for food stores (Hanna Supermarket in Store Street is probably your closest) while there are too many restaurants to mention. My own favourite is Asadal at Holborn tube, though there are plenty of places very near Tottenham Court Road tube. Churches is a project I’m working on, but there used to be a Korean church in the Gt Portland Street / Warren Street Area. Google Korean Anglican Community Centre to see what comes up.

regina November 5, 2009 at 6:51 am

Hi, what is the nearest Korean grocery that I can buy short ribs for Korean bbq??? I live in SW London. Many thanks for the help!

tiffany July 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I’m also looking for short ribs for korean bbq too, can’t find it at any uk supermarkets, please advise if u know where i can get it, thanks a lot!

M Bhadra July 9, 2010 at 10:21 am

One school boy (age 14); my relative suddenly had some brain problem. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (Mixed). I have heard one medicine may cure this boy, which is Moranbong Carbonate Friut Juice. The juice is of Korean origin. Can anybody please help if this is available in UK. Kindly advice.

Thanks and Regards
MBhadra

Ken July 9, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Where can I buy – white asparagus spears – canned or in jars near to Wimbledon ??

Any help appreciated please – Ken

piano September 14, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Can anybody tell me where to find a Korean Grocery Store in Bristol that sells Mugwort powder, Frozen Rice Flour, and Dried/skinned Mung beans? Thanks.

June September 20, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I am looking for Mugwort powder (쑥가루) to buy. Anyone knows where can I buy it? I live in North London.

O' FOOD May 19, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Please check another New Korea Grocery shop in Piccadilly Circus.
24-25 Denman Street, London, W1D 7HU
0207 494 9660

Adrienn Magyar February 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I am looking for a kimchi spice. Anyone knows a good korean grocery in Pimlico or in Kensington?

Thanks your help in advance!

pepperofreak July 11, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Thanks for this list ! There is a great oriental supermarket in south east london where i live called FLK Chinese Groceries- they have a pretty good product range of korean, japanese, thai , chinese, indonesian , vietnamese goods, all sorts, as the owner is pretty knowledgeable in trendy asian food.
I go there for korean dumplings, gojujang, kimchi, peppero, instant noodles/ramen, and i can always get advice on the products suited for me ( i love spicy sauces). Its great if you are a newbie to korean, japanese, chinese food, as the staff offer experienced advice on the products and recipes. I always recommend it to friends who want to make korean food at home!