Here are the events I know of for March. I’d strongly recommend a visit to Liverpool before the Nam June Paik show closes, and a visit to Pizza Express Soho for Nah Youn Sun on March 1st.
- The 3rd Asia House Asian Film Festival has two films with Korean interest: Hong Sang-soo’s Ha Ha Ha on 5 March and Yang Yonghi’s Sona, the other myself on 7 March
- The KCC’s first screening this month, on 10 March, is the classic Road to Sampo by Lee Man-hee. The second screening is not yet announced.
- The Korean Film Blogathon takes place 7 – 13 March
- LKL’s favourite jazz songstress Nah Youn Sun will perform at Pizza Express on 1 March with guitarist Ulf Wakenius.
- For those interested in things across the East Sea, there’s a bonanza of Japanese music at King’s Place, 3-5 March.
- Shin Meekyoung’s solo show at the Haunch of Venison continues all month
- It’s your last chance to see the big Nam June Paik retrospective at Tate Liverpool. It’s well worth a day trip.
- The KCC’s upcoming exhibition it of works from the National Museum of Contemporary Art. More details to follow.
- Jung-ouk Hong continues in the group show at James Freeman Gallery in Islington
- Kim Ha-young has a solo show at 43 Inverness Street, Camden, all month.
- The Korean flag will be flying at Battersea’s Affordable Art Fair, 10-13 March, courtesy of Cross Gallery, the exhibition arm of I-MYU Projects.
Food and Social
- The Anglo-Korean Society diners will meet for their first get-together of the year on 2 March
- Kiejo Sarsfield will continue her cookery classes on 5, 19, 26 March. Contact kiejosarsfield at hotmail dot co dot uk for more info
- Choe Tae Bok, Speaker of the North Korean Supreme People’s Assembly, will be dining with Asia House on 28 March and taking tea with Lord Alton in the Houses of Parliament on 30 March. AKS members are invited to apply to join the latter meeting.
- Pak Youngsook lectures on cultural and artistic exchange between Koryo Korea and Liao China on 4 March
- The SOAS Friday evening seminars are on 11 March and 18 March. (note that the one on 4 March is cancelled)