The Seollal New Year holiday in Korea is 22-24 January. Best wishes for the upcoming Year of the Dragon.
- Weekly screenings (Thursdays at 7pm) at the KCC this month feature Lee Myung-se. The running order is Nowhere to Hide, M, Gagman, and finally Duelist with the director himself for Q&A.
- Shin Sang-ok’s Pulgasari (1985 – with Kim Jong-il credited as executive producer) will be screened at the Roxy on 16 January
- Muse London, the group show at the KCC finishes on 21 January. I think there will be a special event on 18 January which will include a performance by artist / musician duo EE.
- Two Korean artists participate in a group show entitled Boundaries at C99 Art Project, throughout January
- The London Art Fair usually has some Korean specialist galleries exhibiting. Also Anna Paik’s work will be on show at the Wolseley stand.
- MinJung Baek (piano) will be accompanying Sulki Yu (violin) at a lunchtime recital at LSE on 26 January, and has a solo lunchtime recital at St Martin-in-the-Fields the following day.
- 13 January: A timely talk at SOAS on the prospects for the DPRK’s development and economic engagement; and on 26 January, The Vacillation of Culture in Neoliberal South Korea
Clubs and social
- The K-pop New Year special is at Fire Club on 21 January.