Sorry for the late posting – just returned from 10 days in Korea with no computer or time available for blogging. I’ll update this post with links and anything I’ve missed as I get more time. If you spot any obvious omissions (this list was prepared in great haste) do let me know.
Music and Theatre
- There’s a concert of traditional Korean music as part of SOAS’s music and dance symposium on 13 April
- Pianist Sunwook Kim performs at the Mill Hill Music Club, 22 April, 7:30pm
- Yonhangza Theatre Company performs A Midsummer Night’s Dream, in Korean, at the Globe, on 30 April and 1 May
- ID Please, a group show by Korean artists questioning identity, is at the New Gallery London, Peckham, 9 – 14 April
- There’s a big group show featuring some familiar artists in Paris’s 16th arrondissement which lasts till 14 June
- The Albemarle Gallery has taken over the reception area of Moor House (120 London Wall EC2Y 5ET, Moorgate tube) with some more familiar artists, till 27 April
- Running Boy and Kyungho Park are at Mokspace, 5 – 19 April
- Situated Senses 02: 30cm of Obscurity is at the Old Police Station, 11-20 April
- KAA chairman Kang Soon-yul participates in a group exhibition by the British Tapestry Association’s South East group at Mill House Gallery, 6 – 15 April.
- Three Korean artists participate in The Function of the Oblique at no format (near the Thames Barrier), 13-22 April, and then at Son Gallery from 26 April.
- This month’s director at the KCC is Song Il-gon, with Flower Island, Feathers in the Wind, Dance of Time, and Always / Only You (with director Q&A) on successive Thrusdays.
- The Terracotta Film Festival has four Korean films (including My Way and Kim Ki-duk’s Arirang) plus two shorts, 12-15 April
- Kim So-yong’s latest film, For Ellen, screens at the Sundance Film Festival, 27-29 April
Meet-ups and gatherings
- The Anglo Korean Society diners gather on 3 April at Arang
- The British Korean Womens Society meets for lunch at the In and Out, also on 3 April
- The London Korean Language Meetup Group and the K-pop teams will be having their usual gatherings.
- Kie-jo Sarsfield runs her cookery classes on 14, 21 and 28 April. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- SOAS’s big day-and-a-half symposium on Korean music and dance is on 13 and 14 April, with a concert on the Friday night.
- SOAS’s free evening seminars are Monday 16 April (Inventing the “Lesser Middle Kingdom (小中華)”: Early Chosŏn’s dispatch of Kyŏngchagwan (敬差官) to Jurchen and Tsushima Regions) and Friday 27 April (A New Perspective on Korean Society: the Role of Descent Groups in Korea’s Long History)
- South Korea takes on Britain, Tunisia and Argentina at the Pinsent Masons London Handball Cup 2012 at Crystal Palace, 5 – 7 April