Yun Posun (윤보선, 1897 – 1990), briefly President of South Korea between Syngman Rhee and Park Chung-hee, was an alumnus of Edinburgh University. This connection is being celebrated for the first time this year, which marks the 130th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Korea and the UK
Yun Posun Memorial Symposium
Korea-UK Partnering for the Future
5-6 March 2013
The inaugural Yun Posun Memorial Symposium, Korea-UK Partnering for the Future, will be a highly inclusive event that appropriately celebrates Yun Posun’s historical connections with The University of Edinburgh and promotes the longer-term understanding and growth of contemporary Korean studies and culture in Scotland and the rest of the UK. The Symposium will form part of an exciting two–day programme of social, cultural and academic events that will aim to foster knowledge exchange and build greater understanding and cooperation between S Korea and the UK. Activities, as detailed in the programme schedule, will include:
- the inaugural Yun Posun Memorial Lecture to be delivered by Dr James Hoare, Freelance Writer and Broadcaster on Korean Affairs; Chargé d’Affaires and HM Consul General, British Embassy Pyongyang (2001-2002).
- a welcome reception with Korean and Scottish musical recitals;
- a formal networking dinner;
- the launch of a publication on the life of Yun Posun by Dr Myungkoo Kim;
- a tour of Korean artefacts held in the National Museum of Scotland;
- a Korea arts and culture presentation (The University of Edinburgh will host an
- exhibition of Nam June Paik’s work at the Edinburgh International Festival August
- a Student Exchange awareness raising session for students, by students;
- Korean Culture Show organised by Edinburgh University Korean Students’ Society covering traditional music and dances to contemporary K-pop;
- a pan-sector Scotland-Korea Symposium on 6 March, hosted by Universities Scotland (www.universities-scotland.ac.uk/).