Whatever happened to this year? I can’t believe it’s October already. Here are some of the events for the month:
- I am Sun Mu, a documentary about a North Korean artist defector, screens at Raindance on 3 October
- The BFI London Film Festival has four Korean films: the latest Hong Sang-soo, the gentle documentary My Love, Don’t Cross That River, the colonial era thriller Assassin and the “Hospital thriller meets character portrait” movie Madonna
- The inaugural “Oth” edition of the Londond East Asian Film Festival (23-25 October) opens with Ryu Seung-wan’s Veteran
- The KCC’s screenings this month are two of Ryu Seung-wan’s early works, Die Bad (8 Oct, with pre-screening talk) and No Blood No Tears (22 Oct)
- The TV drama pilot screenings this month (1 Oct) are of 3 Days and Mr Baek
- The KCC is promoting two other screenings this month:
- Watch out later on in the month for a screening of Im Heung-soon’s Factory Complex.
- And slightly further ahead, the London Korean Film Festival opens on 2 Nov
- Sarah Chang gives a recital in aid of British Red Cross on 12 October
- Shin Yoon-seok is giving a piano recital near Waterloo on 9 October
- Boy band Infinite perform in Shepherds Bush on 9 October
- Joo Yeon Sir is performing a violin work by Karl Jenkins at the Royal Albert Hall on 30 October
- The KCC’s autumn exhibition 2, 3, of new work by Sora Kim, opens on 12 October.
- Hyelim Kim joins in a discussion with Peter Wiegold at the Royal College of Music on 1 October
- SOAS hosts two conferences … :
- Conceptions of ‘Life’ and ‘Nature’ in Classical Discourses – all day on 9 October
- Deconstructing Boundaries: Is ‘East Asian Art History’ possible? – 10 and 11 October
and their season of evening seminars starts with The Spec Generation Who Can’t Say “No”: Overeducated and Underemployed Youth in Contemporary South Korea on 30 OctoberCANCELLED.
- The KCC’s book club focuses on Choi In-hun’s The Square on 28 October
- The British Korean Society has an informal networking evening on 8 October and their House of Lords reception is on 28 October.
- The British Korean Women’s Society has their monthly dinner on 6 October. Yours Truly will be guest speaker.