The Things You Can Only See When You Slow Down by Haemin Sunim (tr. Chi-Young Kim) has been shortlisted for The British Book Awards in Non-Fiction: Lifestyle category. The full shortlist in the category is as follows:
- 5 Ingredients by Jamie Oliver (Michael Jospeh)
- The Things You Can Only See When You Slow Down: How To Be Calm in a Busy World by Haemin Sunim (Penguin Life)
- The Christmas Chronicles: Notes, Stories and 100 Essential Recipes For Midwinter by Nigel Slater (Fourth Estate)
- Cooking For Family and Friends by Joe Wicks (Bluebird)
- Recovery: Freedom From Our Addictions by Russell brand (Bluebird)
- Happy: Finding Joy in Every Day and Letting Go of Perfect by Fearne Cotton (Orion Spring)
Self-help books are not the ones we automatically reach for in a bookstore, but this one has been selling well, and because of its fine reputation in Korea we picked up a copy last year – and it was one of our favourites from 2017. It’s up against some tough competition, but maybe it’s sufficiently different from the run-of-the-mill celebrity books to catch the judges’ attention. The winners will be announced at a ceremony at the Grosvenor House Hotel on 14 May 2018.
Update: not a surprise: Jamie Oliver won it.