Korean events are gradually emerging from the online world into the real world. But the Kingston Harvest Fest will be online this year. Look out for announcements about some video streamings on 26 September.
- Apply to attend Sora Kim-Russell’s book talk by 1 September
- Fill in your K-pop Academy application by 9 September
- The Call for Papers deadline for the 2021 UCLAN IKSU Annual International Conference on Exploring Landscape of K-Culture and Changes in Society is 18 September
Food and drink
- Chef Suhyung Lee has a one-night-only popup collaboration dinner at Crispin’s Spitalfields on 10 September
- There’s a two-week food event in New Malden, with classes, lectures and an exhibition, 5 – 19 September
- Julia Hwang performs Poulenc’s Sonata for Violin and Piano at St James’s Piccadilly, 4 September
- The KCC’s first exhibition post re-opening is Seoul Unfolded, until 26 September
- Han Collection has an exhibition of scholar’s accoutrements, opening 1 September until the end of October
- Several Korean artists are participating in an Albemarle group show at Moor House on London Wall, until 15 September
- Joonhong Min participates in Ghost Relics, at Hoxton 253 Art Project Space, 2 – 6 September. There’s an artist talk on 5 Sept.
- Ilhwa Kim has a solo show at HOFA Gallery from 28 September.
- Haegue Yang’s Sol LeWitt Upside Down – Structure with Three Towers, Expanded 23 Times, Split in Three (2015) is on show in Room 9 of Tate Modern’s Materials and Objects section. You would need to book an ‘All Tate Modern Collections‘ route ticket to see it.
- The BTS Break the Silence movie has a limited theatrical release from 10 September
- The KCC will be presenting a teaser screening for the 2020 LKFF on 10 September: Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982.
- A 4K restoration of Bong Joon-ho’s Memories of Murder has a one-off screening on 12 September. Curzon will also be offering Memories of Murder and Barking Dogs Never Bite via their Home Cinema service from this month.
- Sora Kim-Russell will be talking about Pyun Hye-young’s Law of Lines at the monthly KCC literature discussion group on 23 September
- Recent publications:
- Lee Hyemi tr So J Lee: Unexpected Vanilla
- Na Man-gap tr George Kallander: The Diary of 1636: The Second Manchu Invasion of Korea
- Coming in September:
- Park Sinae: The Korean Vernacular Story: Telling Tales of Contemporary Choson in Sinographic Writing
- Yi Sang tr Don Mee Choi and others: Selected Works
- Yun Ko-eun tr Lizzie Buehler: Table for One: Stories
- Nam Lee: Films of Bong Joon-ho
- Bong Joon-ho: Parasite: A Graphic Novel in Storyboards
Let me know via the contact form of events or major publications that I’ve missed.