Publisher: Routledge, 2021.
Link to online store *
From the publisher’s website:
This revised second edition of Intermediate Korean: A Grammar and Workbook is an accessible reference grammar and related exercises in a single volume. The text can be used in conjunction with any primary textbook, both as a reference guide to the intermediate Korean grammar and a practice book to reinforce learning.
This book presents 24 individual grammar points, covering the core material that students would expect to encounter in their second year of learning Korean. Grammar points are followed by examples and exercises which allow students to reinforce and consolidate their learning.
Key features include:
- Clear, accessible format
- Many useful language examples
- All Korean entries presented in Hangul with English translations
- Abundant exercises with full answer key
- Subject index.
Clearly presented and user-friendly, Intermediate Korean provides readers with the essential tools to express themselves in a wide variety of situations, making it an ideal grammar reference and practice resource for students with some knowledge of the language. Intermediate Korean is suitable for both class use as well as independent study.
Table of Contents
- The intimate speech level and the plain speech level
- Particles 보다, 처럼, 같이, 만큼, 마다, 마저, 밖에
- Particles 씩, 뿐, 쯤, 은/는커녕, (이)야, (이)야말로, 대로, 따라
- Auxiliary verbs I ~어/아 오다, ~어/아 가다, ~어/아 보다, ~어/아 내다, ~어/아 주다, ~어/아 드리다
- Auxiliary verbs II ~어/아 놓다, ~어/아 두다, ~어/아 있다, ~어/아하다, ~어/아지다
- Auxiliary verbs III ~어/아 버리다, ~어/아 치우다, ~고 말다, ~게 되다
- Clausal connectives (purpose or intention) ~(으)러, ~(으)려고, ~도록
- Clausal connectives (reasons and cause) ~어/아서, ~(으)니까, ~(으)ㄹ 테니까, ~느라고
- Clausal connectives (conditions) ~(으)면, ~어/아야, ~(으)ㄹ수록, ~거든
- Clausal connective endings (listing and choice) ~고, ~(으)며, ~거나, ~든지
- Clausal connectives (time) ~(으)면서, ~자마자, ~다가
- Clausal connectives (background) ~는데/(으)ㄴ데, ~(으)ㄹ 텐데
- Clausal connectives (contrast) ~지만, ~(으)나, ~어/아도, ~(으)ㄴ데도/는데도
- Permission, prohibition, and obligation
- Passives and causatives
- The noun-modifying endings ~는, ~(으)ㄴ, ~(으)ㄹ
- Describing the appearance of actions or states of affair
- Post modifiers I 길, 적, 일, 동안, 도중, 중, 편
- Post modifiers II 대로, 후에, 척, 바람에, 것, 뻔, 때
- Ability and possibility ~(으)ㄹ 수 있다/없다, ~(으)ㄹ 줄 알다/모르다, ~(으)ㄹ 리가 없다
- Indirect question form ~는/(으)ㄴ/(으)ㄹ지
- The retrospective suffix ~더
Entry on Goodreads.com here.
* Where the book is available from a number of sources, they are prioritised as follows: (1) Amazon UK site (2) Amazon US site (3) Other sites in US or Europe, including second-hand outlets (4) LTI Korea, where the title is advertised as available from there (5) Onlines stores in Korea. Links to Amazon UK site contain an affiliate code which, should you make a purchase, gives a small commission to LKL at no additional cost to you.