Author: Chuyun Oh, Claire Seungeun Lee, Crystal S Anderson, Hyejung Ju, Jennifer Jung-Kim, John Walsh, Myoung-sun Song, Sherri L Ter Molen, Yasue Kuwahara, Young Eun Chae
Publisher: Palgrave, 2014.
Link to online store *
From the publisher’s website:
The rise in popularity of South Korean entertainment and culture began and is promoted as an official policy of the Korean government to revive the country’s economy. This study examines cultural production and consumption, glocalization, the West versus Asia, global race consciousness, and changing views of masculinity and femininity.
- Introduction | Kuwahara, Yasue
- Hallyu as a Government Construct: The Korean Wave in the Context of Economic and Social Development | Walsh, John
- Transformations of the Korean Media Industry by the Korean Wave: The Perspective of Glocalization | Ju, Hyejung
- The Politics of the Dancing Body: Racialized and Gendered Femininity in Korean Pop | Oh, Chuyun
- My Sassy Girl Goes around the World | Jung-Kim, Jennifer
- “Gangnam Style” as Format: When a Localized Korean Song Meets a Global Audience | Lee, Claire Seungeun (et al.)
- That’s My Man! Overlapping Masculinities in Korean Popular Music | Anderson, Crystal S.
- The S(e)oul of Hip-Hop: Locating Space and Identity in Korean Rap | Song, Myoung-Sun
- A Cultural Imperialistic Homecoming: The Korean Wave Reaches the United States | Molen, Sherri L. Ter
- Winter Sonata and Yonsama, Ideal Love, and Masculinity: Nostalgic Desire and Colonial Memory | Chae, Young Eun
- Hanryu: Korean Popular Culture in Japan | Kuwahara, Yasue
The FT's Simon Mundy has reviewed the book here.
Entry on Goodreads.com here.
* Where the book is available from a number of sources, they are prioritised as follows: (1) Amazon UK site, or Bookshop.org for the more recent uploads (2) Amazon US site (3) Other sites in US or Europe, including second-hand outlets (4) LTI Korea, where the title is advertised as available from there (5) Onlines stores in Korea. Links to Bookshop.org and Amazon UK site contain an affiliate code which, should you make a purchase, gives a small commission to LKL at no additional cost to you.