London Korean Links

Covering things Korean in London and beyond since 2006

The biggest independent music awards in the world

728x90avima_0301, a Malaysian entertainment and lifestyle magazine site, brings you the Asia Voice Independent Music Awards. Billed as Asia’s first indie music awards, the event has acts from all over Asia, including Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, UAE, and of course Korea. In fact, with 16 countries participating, the organisers claim this is the biggest event of its kind in the world.

Flying the taegukgi for Korea are

  • APLS in the Best Pop / R&B Song category
  • No Reply in the Best Pop Act category
  • Phonebooth in the Best Rock Act category
  • Skasucks, Jang Sei-yong and Oriental Express all compete for Best Instrumental
  • Oh Ji-eun and No Reply both competing in the mellow / acoustic / folk category
  • Finally Skasucks is also nominated in the “Genre Bending-Mindboggling-Out of this world Track!”

The winners will be determined in part by public vote, though in order to prevent the sort of vote-stuffing that can get Rain into the Time Magazine most influential people list, the public vote will only count for 30% of the total. The remaining 70% contribution to the awards will be from a learned panel of well-informed international judges.

“All the acts nominated for AVIMA are definitely of international standards.” said Siva Chandran,’s Managing Editor. “I won’t be surprised if we see these acts charting in Europe and US soon.”

Visit the awards site to listen to the tracks and cast your votes. You have until 29 March.

Update: As reported by Anna Lindgren (one of the AVIMA judges), the best instrumental category was won by Jang Sei Yong with his One Day on Moon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.