The big group show of London-based Korean artists returns for its ninth iteration. Don’t miss it: it’s only there for a few days.
4482-2019: The Other Side of the Moon
28 March – 31 March 2019
Bargehouse, Oxo Tower Wharf, London SE1 9PH
Open daily, 11am – 6pm, Admission free.
31 participating artists as well as 2 invitee Female Artists and 10 visiting artists from Soohoh Gallery
4482-2019: The Other Side of the Moon Voices of Contemporary Artists from Korea and the UK Our world is filled with parallel matters whose values are often created by comparison and contradiction. Your fortune might be related to someone else’s misfortune. Wealth and poverty can co-exist within a society, yet the two are distant from each other. We often find comfort and/or despair within our own juxtaposed world. The other side of our world gets dismissed perhaps too often by ourselves, like the flip side of the coin and the darker side of the Moon.
4482-2019: The Other Side of the Moon showcases exciting artworks by over 30 UK-based Korean contemporary artists who investigate such contradictions and juxtapositions, the familiar and/or alien aspects of our world through their thought-provoking artworks. Their voices are collected, shared and presented as diverse dialogues through six powerful quotations:
- “Do not swear by the moon, for she changes constantly. Then your love would also change” (William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet)
- “Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody” (Mark Twain)
- “Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass” (Anton Chekhov)
- “We ran as if to meet the moon” (Robert Frost)
- “I am a cemetery by the moon unblessed” (Charles Baudelaire, Paris Spleen)
- “Go slowly, my lovely moon, go slowly” (Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner)
4482 (sasapari), a figure made from combining the international dialing codes of the UK (44) and South Korea (82), is the name adopted by a collective group of Korean Contemporary Artists. Since the group’s first exhibition in 2007, 9 successful exhibitions have taken place, presenting inspiring works by over 300 Korean artists who live and work in the UK.
Its 10th exhibition, 4482-2019: The Other Side of the Moon, also presents a special display of exciting artworks by 10 artists who are represented by our sponsor, the Soohoh Gallery in South Korea. Two accomplished female artists have also been invited to showcase their works alongside the main exhibition.