It’s a busy month this month…
- Of course, it’s the London Korean Film Festival, which also makes its way to Cambridge, Belfast and Cardiff. Kim Ji-woon, Jang Jin, Im Sang-soo and other directors will be present in a budget-busting event across the Odeon West End, Apollo and ICA.
- Kim Ji-woon’s debut feature A Quiet Family screens at the KCC on 25 November.
- Asia House commences its exhibition The Tiger in Asian Art on 5 November. Korea will be represented, and there’s a study day on 13 November.
- The KCC’s exhibition of video art, Media Landscape, Zone East, finishes on 20 November.
- Asian Art in London runs 4 – 13 Nov. If you search the website there’s bound to be some Korean antiques and maybe contemporary art for sale.
- Sungfeel Yun’s exhibition continues at the Hempel until 6 Nov, as does Lee Jae-hyo’s exhibition at the Albermarle Gallery
Music and Dance
- Korea’s Laboratory Dance Project performs (with post-show Q & A) at The Place near Euston on 23 November. This for those of you who aren’t into film will be the event of the month.
- Park Young-choon (piano) performs Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin as part of the Blackheath Sundays series, 21 November. She plays in a lunchtime recital at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon on 30 Nov.
- Grace Yeo participates in a Classical soiree at Hinde Street Methodist Church, 9 Nov.
- Joo Yeon Sir (violin) has a number of recitals in central London: 4th and 10th at luncthime, 5th in teh evening.
- If you’re not into film or dance, then the event of the month is the London debut of 10: Korea’s itta and Japan’s Marqido performing on 17 and 18 Nov.
- Gugak FM hosts a concert in Liverpool on 11 Nov featuring kayageum player Choi Jin and wind duo Su:m
- KAA member and Dulsori UK manager Jeung-hyun Choi will be conducting a samulnori workshop on 6 November.
Talks and tours
- There’s a Korean art study morning at the BM, 13 Nov, unhelpfully clashing with Asia House’s full day.
- The AKS has its guided tour of the BM’s Korea gallery on 18 Nov.
- Choo Mi-ae is at Chatham House on 4 Nov.
- There’s a big session on doing business in Korea post the EU FTA. City, 5 November. Download PDF.
- Another highlight of the month: the BAKS one-day symposium on the Korean war, 20 Nov at Asia House.
- Aidan FC and Kate Hext talk at SOAS on 19 Nov as part of the series of Friday evening seminars.
Cooking and conviviality
- Kiejo Sarsfield’s cookery classes run on 13, 20, 27 Nov
- I’ve started to lose track of the social events organised by the K-Pop team in Vauxhall clubs, the SOAS K-Soc and the London Korean Meetup Group. You known their contact URIs by now.
- The rescheduled Asia House evening talk on the Korean War in film and visual arts is on 1 Dec, and the AKS annual dinner in the Houses of Parliament is 2 Dec.
Let me know what I’ve missed.