Here are the events for March that I know of. Lots of good music, plus Park Kwang-su at the KCC and some great photography at Mokspace. Let me know what I’ve missed.
- The KCC’s exhibition space is closed for the next couple of months while some housekeeping work is done with the floor.
- But there’s a must-see exhibition of nostalgic black and white photographs by Kang Bong-kyu at Mokspace, from 2 March.
- Plus there are two Korean artists in HADA Contemporary‘s group show downstairs at the Albemarle Gallery, 2-24 March.
- This month is Park Kwang-su month at the KCC. No screening on Thursday 1 March (the KCC is closed to mark Samil). But consecutive Thursdays at 7pm will have Chilsu & Mansu, Uprising, A Single Spark, and Park’s recent comeback film Meet Mr Daddy. The latter will be at the Apollo Piccadilly, followed by Q&A with Director Park.
- Lee Yoon-ki’s Come Rain Come Shine will be at the Pan Asian Film Festival at the Cine Lumiere, South Ken, 17 March 2pm.
- There will be an informal screening of Park Chan-wook’s Oldboy on 18 March at 6pm. Venue tbc.
- Musical comedians Igudesman and Joo perform A Little Nightmare Music at the Cadogan Hall on 9 March. Probably the highlight of the month.
- Unsuk Chin’s violin concerto gets a rare outing at the Royal Festival Hall on 15 March.
- Violinist Joo Yeon Sir has mid-day recitals at the Royal College of Music and Regent Hall on 22 and 23 March respectively; and again at the Festival Hall bar, lunchtime on 30 March.
- The Fournier Trio (with Sulki Yu on violin) perform at the Bishopsgate Institute for in a lunchtime concert on 27 March.
Educational and Social
- Kiejo’s cookery classes are on Saturday 3rd, 17th, 24th, 31st. Contact kiejosarsfield at hotmail dot co dot uk for details.
- SOAS evening seminars this month are 2 March (Kasa as a means of communication) and 9 March (The U.S. Trusteeship Plan for Korea as Peace-maintenance Scheme, 1941-1945)
- The Anglo Korean Society has a guided tour to the V&A Korean, Asian and ceramic galleries on 9 March
- The K-pop team has a Big Bang giveaway special at one of their late-night sessions at the Alchemist, 24 March