It’s Chuseok time, which also means it’s Thames Festival time, but this year there will be no major Korean involvement in the festival. But Samsung is partnering with Arts Council England and others to present Portrait of a River, a film by Nikolaj Bendix Skyum Larsen, near the OXO Tower during the festival.
- The Choi Min-sik season continues with I Saw the Devil on August 12 at the KCC and concludes with Nameless Gangster (with Choi Min-sik Q&A) on 26 September at BAFTA.
- Red Carpet Spirit presents a trilogy of short films directed by Korean artists in the UK, 6 September.
- Kim Ki-duk’s Pieta screens at the ICA, 6 – 12 September
Conferences and Classes
- The European Alliance for Human Rights in North Korea is running a session on Rethinking our Approach to Media Reporting, Human Rights and Engagement with North Korea
- The Korean Artists Association are presenting a one-day workshop and conference on 4 September
- The Joint East Asian Studies Conference is at Nottingham, 5 – 7 September
- Kiejo Sarsfield’s cookery classes are on 14, 21 and 28 September
- Hyelim Kim presents a lecture recital, Beyond Taegum, at Asia House on 17 September
- Musical funny man Hyung-ki Joo plays it straight with Rach 2 on 12 September at the Cadogan Hall
- There is a fund-raising musical event in aid of the European Alliance for Human Rights in North Korea in the Gallery Café, Bethnall Green. Alan Cathcart, North Korean poets and more.
- Conductor Kim Eun-sun makes her ENO debut with Die Fledermaus, opening on 30 September
- Young musicians from the Korea National High school of Traditional music will be performing at the KCC on 9 September
- Lee Jinhan & Kim Jiseon’s duo exhibition at HADA Contemporary finishes on 1 September
- The KAA’s Collaboration exhibition finishes on 7 September
- Albemarle Gallery’s annual Korean Collective exhibition runs 5 Sept – 5 Oct
- Serendipity, Jieun Kim’s solo show at Mokspace, is 4 – 15 September
- Hong Sungchul and Park Seungmo’s exhibition at HADA Contemporary is 5 September – 4 October
- Shin Meekyoung’s solo show at Sumarria Lunn opens on 26 September
- You can find work by Jean Kim at the Chelsea postgraduate show, by Bongsu Park at Art Deco gallery, and by Lim Hyunjeong at Hanmi Gallery’s 23rd interim exhibition (5 – 15th Sept)
- Projects by Shan Hur and Meekyoung Shin can be seen in Berkeley Square and Cavendish Square respectively
Festivals and Fairs
- 100% Design London runs from 18 – 21 September, with the usual strong Korean participation
- The Anglo Korean Society Celebrates Chuseok on 13 September – members only
- The Thames Festival is 6-15 Setpember, though there’s no Korean Village this year
- London Fashion week runs 13-17 Sept. The Korean Class Massive has a run-down of the Korean designers.
- LKL will be reporting from the opening of the International Traditional Medicine Festival in Sancheong, Gyeongnam (6 September -20 October) in Sancheong County, and from the Suncheon Garden Expo, Jeonnam (till 20 October)