- Han Collection will be exhibiting the ceramics from Icheon that it featured online for Collect earlier this year, from 12 April
- The KCC is hosting a season of artist videos, with a limited online viewing window, starting 6 April
- Pontone Gallery is hosting an online exhibition featuring the work of Lee Jeonglok
- Minari is released online in the UK on 2 April; with releases at drive-through cinemas on 12 April and normal cinemas as soon as permitted. Paul O’Kane’s review can be found here.
- Amazon Prime is screening 소리꾼 aka The Singer, by Jo Jung-lae, the director of Spirit’s Homecoming.
- The KCC is hosting an online season of short films which finishes on 1 April. I anticipate there will be another season starting soon.
- The Hong Kong Arts Centre is hosting a season of films by Korean women, viewable online with discussions in English afterwards. Timings below are Hong Kong time. Deduct 7 hours for BST. Tickets here.
- 16/4 (Fri) 7:30pm – The Strangers – dir Myoung So-hee
- 17/4 (Sat) 4pm – Escape the Corset – dir Lee Mi-hae
- 17/4 (Sat) 7:30pm – Lucky Chan-sil – dir Kim Cho-hee
- As a coda to last year’s Festival of Korean Dance there are three specially commissioned dance videos screening 1-5 April celebrating Youth Dance
- The KCC House Concert for April has yet to be announced.
Talks and seminars
- The association of Korean PhD Students and Researchers in the UK is running a series of information and discussion sessions on the Jeju 4:3 incident, the Hillsborough disaster and the Sewol tragedy, 3 / 4 / 9 April
- University of Michigan has a conference on the South Korean Film Industry, 12-16 April
- The National Army Museum hosts a talk on the Korean War on 14 April (open only to NAM and BKS members)
- The KCC has an online Korean cookery class – Cooking with Kimchi – on 16 April (register by 11 April)
- The RASKB’s literature club meeting on 22 April discusses Jeong Ho-seung’s charming fable Loving
- UCLan’s 2021 IKSU Annual International Conference is 26 and 27 April
- The KCC’s literature event on 28 April discusses last year’s publication of Yi Sang’s selected works (register by 15 April).
- The KCC’s open call for volunteers to participate in the 2021 Hallyu Con closes 7 April
- The KTO is recruiting SNS supporters – application deadline 11 April
- UCLan’s Call for Papers for the IKSU Annual International Conference in January 2022 closes 20 April
- Recently published:
- Jung H Pak: Becoming Kim Jong Un – Understanding North Korea’s Young Dictator
- Kim Aeran: My Brilliant Life tr Kim Chi-young
- Coming soon:
- Jerôme de Wit: Literature and Cultural Identity during the Korean War: Comparing North and South Korean Writing
- Kim Bo-young: I’m Waiting for You – And Other Stories, tr Sophie Bowman and Sung Ryu
…details extracted from the LKL Korea Book Database, which now contains over 1,000 titles.