Sadly, the big event scheduled for this month, the appearance of StorySeller and Choi Soo Min at a Camden club, has been postponed possibly until later this year. Shame. But looking on the bright side, E J-yong, director of one of my favourite films – An Affair (1998) – will be in town later in the month. And don’t forget to get your applications in for the KCC’s K-pop culture academy by 15 February
- The KCC’s director of the month is E J-yong. Screenings are every Thursday at 7pm at the KCC, with the final Thursday at 6:30 at the Apollo, with director Q&A. Films featured are, in order, An Affair, Dasepo Naughty Girls, Untold Scandal and Actresses
Seminars and classes
- There’s a half-day seminar on the archaeology of the early Korean states at Cambridge, 4 Feburary
- SOAS seminars this month are Heritage sites in South Korea (3 Feb) and New Studies about Hunmin chongum (24 Feb). There’s also some Korean interest in the 3-day conference Making a Difference – Representing/Constructing the Other in Asian/African Media, Cinema and Languages, 16-18 Feb
- Korean Artists Association member Choi Jeung-hyun will be holding samulnori percussion classes on 4 and 18 February
- Kiejo Sarsfield’s cookery classes are on 4, 11, 18 and 25 February. Contact her at kiejosarsfield [at] hotmail.co.uk for more details
- The annual 4482 / Sasapari exhibition of young Korean artists will be at the Bargehouse, 22-26 February
- To celebrate London Fashion Week, the KCC’s exhibition this month, 1 – 28 February, is of fashion by young Korean designers: A new space around the body.
- Heo Wook’s solo show at Mokspace continues until 7 Feb
- Joohee Chun’s work is participating in a group show, Exclusive Asian Art, at a gallery near Archway tube until 7 Feb.
- You might just be able to catch the last day of another outing of David Heather’s collection of North Korean art at La Galleria Pall Mall, which ends at on 3 February
- Minjung Baek (piano) accompanies Brian O’Kane (cello) at the Wigmore Hall on 27 February
- The Anglo-Korean Society‘s first informal dinner of the year is 7 Feb at Arang, one of my own regular haunts. Contact Sylvia Park for more information
- There’s a K-pop flashmob at HMV Oxford Street on 4 Feb
- The Korean language meetup group will have one or two sessions of which the first is 3 Feb, and the K-pop team have their late-night events on 4 and 18 Feb
Let me know what I’ve missed, and follow LKL on Twitter for any event updates.