Can’t believe May slipped by so quickly. Here’s what I know of for June:
- This month’s director at the KCC is Lee Jun-ik, with screenings, on successive Thursdays, of King and the Clown (2005), The Happy Life (2007), Sunny (2008) and Battlefield Heroes (2010), the latter being at the Apollo Piccadilly with Director Q&A. Read more on Otherwhere.
- For those who follow cinema from across the East Sea, there’s a big season of Kaneto Shindo & Kozaburo Yoshimura at the BFI.
Plenty to choose from this month
- Lorenzo Fusi leads a roundtable on the Gwangju Biennale at the Tate Modern, 6 June
- Artist Lee Bul is at the Hayward Gallery in an illustrated talk entitled From Me, Belongs to You Only on 15 June.
- While you’re in the area, check out Choi Jeong-hwa’s green plastic baskets and balloon-decorated tree underneath the Hayward Gallery – all summer. The ugly dark concrete underworld has never looked so bright.
- Wire-wrapping artist Park Seungmo has a solo show at HADA Contemporary in Hackney, 7-28 June
- Jack Goldsmith Award-winner Kwon Dae-hun exhibits some new sculpture at Rachmaninoffs from 7 June
- HADA Contemporary is also holding its annual group show, Korean Collective, in the Albemarle Gallery, till 23 June
- Mikhail Karikis’s sound and film installation Sea Women, on the divers of Jeju-do, is on all month at the Wapping Project
- There’s some very affordable Korean fashion at Mokspace, until 17 June. If I was a girl in my 20s or 30s, I’d be getting my credit card out.
- Union Gallery in Teesdale Street feature Minae Kim and Soonhak Kwon in a show entitled White Rain, all month.
- You can just catch the tail end of the Place not Found exhibition at the Smokehouse Gallery till 3 June.
- The Function of the Oblique at Son Gallery also closes on 3 June
Music & K-pop
- Hugh Keice plays the 100 Club on 8 June
- Wonhee Bae plays at the RCM on 8 June, in a programme which includes Bach’s famous D minor Chaconne for unaccompanied violin, but with an added accompaniment by Mendelssohn.
- Joo Yeon Sir has a lunchtime recital at Charlton House, 22 June
- The Kpop team has one of its events at the Abacus Bar on 9 June
- YG is holding a global audition at the KCC on 16 June.
- There will be a Korean poet or two at the Poetry Parnassus event at the South Bank, 26 June-1 July. More details soon.
- Kiejo’s cookery classes are on 2, 9, 23, 30 June. Contact kiejosarsfield at hotmail dot co dot uk for details.
- The AKS Diners meet for dinner on 12 June, and the British Korean Women’s Society meets for lunch on the same day.
- Korean adoptees gather in Paris, 29 June – 1 July.
LKL’s Google Calendar is definitely not up to speed with all the above yet. I’ll try to remedy that over the next day or so. I’ve also probably missed a whole bunch of events off the above list. If you know of any, please drop me a line.