It’s often the case that January is a little dry on the cultural front, and this year that’s particularly true. We have look to the Korea Society in New York and Royal Asiatic Society, Korea Branch, in Seoul for online offerings that will supplement our diet.
Think of it as an opportunity to make inroads into that reading pile (some recommendations here), or to catch up on all those TV dramas you’ve been meaning to watch for ages.
- For the ever young and those with boundless energy, kick off the New Year at 4am with SM Town’s free livestream
- While the KCC’s artist of the year show is scheduled to be physically open until 23 Jan, we assume that Tier 4 restrictions will limit access
- Online events linked to the artist of the year exhibition continue until 18 Jan
- Hyojin Park’s online exhibition – Spiritual Garden Awakening – continues until 10 Jan
- Bloomberg New Contemporaries, which includes four Korean artists – is scheduled to open (Covid restrictions permitting) on 13 Jan
- The documentaries shown as part of the 2020 Festival of Korean Dance will stay online until 9 January
- RASKB lectures / discussions:
- 7 Jan – Literature Club: One Left by Kim Soom (LKL book database entry here)
- 12 Jan – North Korea – A Failed Revolution if not a Failed State
- 26 Jan – The Diary of 1636 and the Manchu Invasions of Korea (LKL book database entry here | LKL book review here)
- Korea Society lectures:
- 7 Jan – Author Talks: Kim Soom on One Left (LKL book database entry here)
- 13 Jan – The Magical Language of Others with E.J. Koh (LKL book database entry here)
- 24 Jan – House of Hummingbird: Streaming and A Director’s Talk
At the moment the forward diary is looking pretty empty, but we know that there are things being planned and let’s hope things start getting back to normal in the coming months.