The Islington Chinese Association (in association with the Japan Society, the Anglo-Korean Society, the British Japanese Law Association, the British Korean Law Association and the Hong Kong Society) invite you to an evening of popular and traditional music and entertainment from China, Japan and Korea (including a traditional Chinese meal) to be held on Tuesday, 13th April 2010 at 6.30pm for 7.00pm at The Islington Chinese Association, 21 Hatchard Road, London N19 4NG (nearest underground station: Archway) in aid of ‘Pitch Perfect’, The Lord Mayor of London’s 2010 Charities Appeal.
About the Event
The Event begins with a traditional Chinese meal prepared and served by members of the Islington Chinese Association.
From 8.00 pm onwards there will be musical and dance performances on stage provided by Chinese, Japanese and Korean performers. The following is the programme:
• Katy Blair (CEO of the ICA) and members of the ICA choir will sing popular songs in English and Chinese;
• Joji Hirota (a Japanese traditional shakuhachi (bamboo flute) player) and percussionists will perform traditional Japanese flute music, drum playing and songs;
• Chinese Kunqu Opera excerpt from The Startling Dream and In Pursuit of a Dream (from ‘The Peony Pavilion’) – Kathy Lee Hall and Kevin Zhang from the London Jing Kun Opera Association;
(Interval – 20 minutes)
• Park Sunnee and two other Korean dancers and drum players will perform (in costume) the traditional Korean dances Salp”uri, and Pansori;
• The Koichiro Nakada group of singers and instrumentalists will perform (in Japanese) excerpts from their “Untitled Music Concert No.10”;
• Finale: “Auld Lang Syne”, conducted by Koichiro Nakada, with all the instrumentalists and singers, sung in English, Japanese, Korean and Chinese (with audience participation)
Comperes: Katy Blair, Mayumi Hawkes and Sylvia Park
(The event is expected to end by approximately 10.30 pm.)
- Download an application form for the event from the Anglo Korean Society website