The headline event for this month is of course the London Korean Film Festival, but there are plenty of other events to appeal, not least of which is the diva Sumi Jo appearing at the Cadogan Hall.
- The highlights of the London Korean Film Festival include War of the Arrows, a Ryoo Seung-wan retrospective, Q&As with two directors and plenty more. Screenings will be held in Cambridge, Sheffield and Newcastle as well as four venues in London.
- Separately, Na Hong-jin’s Yellow Sea is screening at the ICA
- Soprano Sumi Jo performs an all-Mozart programme at the Cadogan Hall with the Academy of Ancient Music on 25 November
- Pianist Sunwook Kim performs Beethoven sonatas in Wimbledon, 23 November
- Korean singer-songwriter Hugh Keice performs his When Summer Holds the Rain tour in Kilburn on 19 November and Dalston on 26 November
- Korean tenor Jaewoo Kim appears in Tarik O’Regan’s first opera Heart of Darkness at the Royal Opera House, till 5 November.
- SHINee is the first of the industrial-strength commercial K-pop groups to perform at a London venue, 3 November, but the tickets all sold out within an hour or two. Disappointed fans will need to wait till the next opportunity, which occurs on 5 December at the Brixton O2
Talks and educational:
- Apart from the director Q&As and introductory talks, the LKFF features a Korean Cinema Forum with Tony Rayns among others on 4 November
- Brigadier (Retd.) Brian Parritt CBE launches his “Chinese Hordes and Human Waves” on 10 November
- SOAS Friday evening seminars this month are Pak Youngsook on Minhwa (18 November) and Martin Petersen on representation of food issues in North Korea (25 November)
- AKS hosts a screening of the documentary “Arch of Enlightenment” – about the restoration of the Gwanghwamun – on 15 November
- Chatham House hosts a symposium on South Korea’s role in East Asia, 4 November
- The BAKS symposium Recalling Korea Past: An Oral History of the 1950s to the 1980s is on 26 November
- Kiejo Sarsfield’s cookery classes are on 19 and 26 November. Contact Kiejosarsfield at hotmail dot co dot uk for more details.
- The Korean Artists Association has its monthly open meeting at the KCC on 5 November with talks by composer Jee Soo Shin and artist Joo Hee Chun. Contact koreanartuk at gmail dot com for more information
- Francesca Cho’s exhibition at Mayfair Public Library – “This is not just a picture” – ends on 5 November
- An Eternal Cycle: Paradise and Purgatory at Mokspace ends on 10 November
- “NyLon”, the London-New York Exchange exhibition at the KCC, continues until 26 November
- Woonjung Chun’s Library installation can be seen at England Gallery until 23 November
- Hanmi Gallery’s 7th interim exhibition FOUR_everyday life runs 4 – 17 November
- The Korean Miracle: A Cultural Evolution runs at Asia House 3 – 16 November