What a good idea. Ever since the KCC stopped its participation in the Korean literature essay contest, we haven’t had much focus on Korean literature other than the book launch for Park Kyung-ni’s T’oji. So as part of the KCC’s All Eyes on Korea celebration of Korean culture during the London Olympics we’re getting a workshop facilitated by SOAS’s Grace Koh, with the translator of T’oji also in attendance.
The Korean Literature Workshop: Understanding Korean Literature in Global Contexts
Date: Tuesday 26 June 2012, 5-7pm
Venue: Korean Cultural Centre UK
Facilitator: Dr Grace Koh, SOAS, University of London
As Part of our 2012 celebrations ‘All Eyes On Korea’, Korean Cultural Centre UK will shortly be hosting a Korean literature workshop.
Celebrating Korean literature’s growing presence in the UK, the aims and objectives of the session are to increase awareness of Korean literature and to share various ideas and experiences with literary professionals and the general public.
The lecture will examine the relationship between language, history, cultural tradition and identity in relation to Korean literature, with a view to discuss issues surrounding translation, reception, and representativity of Korean literary works in the English-speaking world.
- Lecture by Dr Grace Koh (SOAS)
- Additional Speaker Agnita Tennant ‘Why Translate?’
- Reading the subject text (A Korean Poem in English, by poet Ra Heeduk (나희덕))
- Open Discussion & Brainstorming
- Creative Response from Ra Heeduk & Facilitator’s Response
Please Send Us Your RSVP To firstname.lastname@example.org Or Phone 0207 004 2600
- Dr Grace Koh is Lecturer in Korean Literature at SOAS, University of London, where she convenes the MA Korean Literature and MA Comparative Literature programmes and teaches courses on Korean literature, literary theory, and translation.
- Agnita Tennant is a novel translator and has translated many beloved Korean novels in English including one of Korea’s most epic novel ‘The Land’ in 2011.
(automatically generated) Read LKL’s review of this event here.