Readers may remember Jasmine Choi’s splendid Wigmore Hall debut back in 2009. At the time, she was associate principal flautist at the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, and last year she moved to the Vienna Symphony as their principal flautist. Sadly, at the end of her probationary year the orchestra members voted not to give her tenure. Some links below give some versions of the story. The headlines speak for themselves, but the orchestra itself is not commenting.
Choi is sure to bounce back and have huge success somewhere else. In the meanwhile, her new disk of Mozart flute quartets will be released in October.
- Slipped Disc editorial: Vienna Symphony needs to understand ‘sexist, racist’ leaks, Slipped Disc, 11 August 2013
- Vienna principal flute speaks out about her ‘sexist, racist’ dismissal, Slipped Disc, 9 August
- Exclusive: Principal flute is voted out of ‘sexist, racist’ Vienna orchestra, Slipped Disc, 8 August 2013
- Vienna Symphony Under Fire for Sacking Korean Flautist, Chosun Ilbo, 12 August 2013
- LKL meets Jasmine Choi, 26 March 2009