The event of the month, and possibly the event of the year (hope I’m not speaking too soon), is Korea Rocks (see under Music listings below). But there are some pretty good exhibitions this month as well. And then Moon So-ri is in town too. Oh, and there’s the London Book Fair too.
Let me know what I’ve missed.
- The lovely ceramics exhibition at Mokspace continues until 7 April, to be followed shortly thereafter by a group show which includes prints by Hyun Jeung. All very tempting.
- The cosmetics exhibition continues at the KCCUK until 6 April, possibly to be succeeded by an exhibition of video work along the lines of Anna Miyoung Kim’s Shades of Prosperity event last year.
- HADA Contemporary has a solo show by Gwon Osang from 4 April – not to be missed.
- Hur Shan’s two-man show with Italy’s 2009 Venice Biennale artist Aron Demetz continues at Gazelli Art House all month. Review coming very soon on LKL.
- Hyun Hyojun and Noh Kyunghee’s group show continues at ArtEco until 13 April
- Hanmi Gallery’s 20th Interim Exhibition including works by Moon Jinwook continues until the last day of the tax year.
- Further afield, Choi and Lager have their third annual show in a domestic setting in Paris’s 16th arondissment.
- Don’t forget that Shin Meekyoung’s Plinth Project is still eroding in Cavendish Square.
- Moon So-ri is in town for a screening of Hong Sang-soo’s Hahaha, with Q&A afterwards, on 4 April. I think the KCC’s Year of the Four Actors then moves on to Jeon Do-yeon.
- Kim So-yong’s For Ellen is at the BFI this month
- GI Joe: Retaliation, featuring Lee Byung-hun, is on general release
- Approved for adoption / Couleur de peau: miel screens at the Leeds Young Film Festival on 4 April
- Further afield, CinemAsia in Amsterdam (4-7 April) has four Korean movies, including this year’s hot documentary, Captain Kang.
- Award-winning acts Apollo 18, Galaxy Express, Goonamguayeoridingstella, and Gate Flowers come to the UK for the Korea Rocks tour. April 24: Kent, England @ Tunbridge Wells Forum | April 26: Wrexham, Wales @ The Bank (Focus Wales) | April 27: Wrexham, Wales @ Yales Café Bar (Focus Wales) | April 28: London, England @ Barfly | May 1: Manchester, England @ Night & Day Cafe | May 3: Liverpool, England @ Studio 2 (Liverpool Sound City) | May 4: Liverpool, England @ Kazimier Gardens (Liverpool Sound City)
Literature and publishing
- The Korean publishing industry has a 1-hour talk at the London Book Fair (where Korea is the featured country next year) on 15 April.
- Also at the London Book Fair, a talk on Translation Flows in East Asia is sure to have something Korea-related
- Linking in with the London Book Fair, the KCC has a literature evening with Choe Yoon and Jung Young-moon on 15 April.
- The Anglo Korean Society has a guided tour of the British Museum on 26 April
- Kiejo Sarsfield’s cookery classes are 13, 20 and 27 April
- Kimchi Cult returns for a six-month fast K-fusion food residency at the Black Heart in Camden from 4 April, 5pm – 9pm Tuesday to Thursday, and from 12 noon – 9pm on Fridays and Saturdays. Perfect for before the Korea Rocks gig at the Barfly.
- Applications for the free Minhwa and Gayageum classes at the KCC must be submitted by 6 April