Notice of the upcoming Global Korea Lecture:
Korean War and the UK-Korea Diplomatic Relations in Defence
Date: Wednesday, 3 July 2013, 18:00
Venue: Korean Cultural Centre UK
Grand Buildings, 1-3 Strand, London, WC2N 5BW
This year is the 130th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Korea and the United Kingdom. To mark the occasion, the Embassy of the Republic of Korea hosts a Global Korea Lecture to commemorate the history of the military and diplomatic cooperation between the two countries.
- Major General GMG Swindells CB (President of the British Korean Veterans’ Association)
- Captain Juhyeon Park (Defence Attaché of the Embassy of the Republic of Korea)
TOPICS OF DISCUSSION
Major General Swindells will describe his experiences as a young officer serving in Korea by giving an illustrated overview of the course of events in the Korean War between 1950 and 1953. His speech will include a personal account of his experiences during 1952 before concluding with ‘the miracle of the Han’ by looking back at the friendship and gratitude shared by the two nations.
Captain Park will focus on Korea’s defence policies and diplomatic relations with the United Kingdom, including an overview of the security environment of the Northeast Asian region, coinciding with recent events in North Korea. Moreover, Captain Park will talk about the new leadership and the defence policies taken in order to avoid a second Korean War and Britain’s cooperation in securing a peace on the Korean peninsula.
ABOUT THE SPEAKERS
Major General GMG Swindells CB
- President of the British Korean Veterans’ Association since 2006
- National Chairman of the British Limbless Es-Service Men’s Association 1991- 1996
- Controller of the Army Benevolent Fund 1987 -1998
- Completed a full career in the army serving in Egypt, Germany, Singapore, Brunei, Aden and Cyprus
- Troop Leader in the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards in the Korean War, as a Lieutenant he commanded a troop of Four Centurion Tanks deployed with, and in support of, British and Australian Infantry Battalions of the Commonwealth Division.
Captain Juhyeon Park
- Aug 2012 – Defence Attaché of the Embassy of the Republic of Korea to the UK
- 2009 – 2011 Strategic Planning Officer, Joint Chief of Staff of the Korean Ministry of Defence
- 2008 Head of Military Science Division, Korea Naval Academy
- 2007 Commanding Officer, ROKs Corvette, Nam Won (PCC-781)
- 2005 Ph. D in International Political Economy at Claremont Graduate University, USA
- 1988 Joined Korea Naval Academy
To register your attendance please email [email protected] by 1st July
For further enquiries, please contact the Embassy of the Republic of Korea on 0207 227 5500 or 5560 (Press Office)