Here are the events I know of for July.
Music and Performance
- July sees the remainder of the City of London Festival. Highlights are
- Ensemble Sinawi at LSO St Luke’s on 8 July, followed by a performance / workshop at SOAS on 9 July
- A Korean Hamlet at the Peacock on 12 July
- Young Korean performers at the Bishopsgate Institute 14 – 17 July
- The LSO under Myung-whun Chung with Korean soloists in Beethoven 9 at St Pauls on 15 July.
- B-boys performing at the Gherkin on 1 July.
- Joo Yeon Sir performs at St James’s Piccadilly on 9 July and the Elgar Room in the Albert Hall on 27 July. She also has performances in Winchester (22nd) and Bath (26th)
- Kwon Soon-hak starts a solo show at Union Gallery on 5 July
- Ahn Jin-kyun’s solo show at HADA Contemporary continues all month
- The KCC exhibition Inventing Temperature continues all month
- Nick Danziger’s DPRK photos are on show at the British Council until 25 July. LKL review here.
- Anna Paik participates in a group Still Life exhibition at Medici Gallery until 8 July
- Son Hyunjoo’s solo show of photography continues at Mokspace until 5 July
- Anise Gallery shows new work by Kwon Minho until 20 July
- Park Jeehee’s solo show, Elephant in the Room, is at Hanmi Gallery from 18 July.
- Hanmi Gallery also has work by Yun Sungfeel on display both in their gallery and at the Courtauld.
- Shin Meekyoung’s Toilet Project comes to Sketch London all month.
- The Goldsmiths degree show runs 10-14 July
- The KCC’s Year of the Film Professionals turns to focus on composer Cho Young-wook. First up is The Contact on 10 July. Film on 24 July tba.
- The British Korean Society has a networking reception on 3 July at Laura Devine Solicitors.
- Kim Joo-il and others talk about the experience of North Koreans in New Malden on 26 July.
- The London Korean Novel Club meets on 12 July to discuss Shin Kyung-sook’s I’ll be right there.
- The KCC’s Korean Literature Night on 30 July focuses on Hwang Sok-yong’s The Guest.
- Kiejo Sarsfield’s cookery classes are on 12th, 19th and 26th July
- The Taste of Korea cookery competition is at the Central Street Cookery School on 5 July.
- The 7th New Malden Arts Festival starts on 19th July (till 2 August).
- New Malden’s Fountain Pub will be holding their annual food festival on 12 July
- Korean performances in the Edinburgh Fringe start on 30 July