February seems to be the month of artist talks, among other things:
Exhibitions and artist talks
- Dialogues of Space closes at the KCC on 6 Feb, and artist Onejoon Che has a talk on 2 Feb.
- Noh Suntag has two parallel solo shows at 43 Inverness Street (all month) and Fitzrovia Gallery (closing 26 Feb), and has a talk at SOAS on 5 Feb. A review of the shows is coming soon on LKL.
- Korean American Artist Michael Joo has a solo show at Blain|Southern starting 10 Feb, with an artist talk that evening.
- Sung Hwan Kim and his composer-collaborator David Michael DiGregorio are talking at the KCC on 5 Feb. We loved their work in the Tate Modern tanks in 2012.
- Park Junebum’s new work, Maths Test, featuring pupils from Tonbridge School, will get its first screening on 2 Feb at the school. The group show lasts until 6 Mar.
- Kang Yiyun presents one of the fruits of her digital residency at the V+A with a presentation of Casting on 12 Feb.
- The Dansaekhwa exhibition continues at the Arts Club, and the Park Seo-bo solo show continues at White Cube.
- The KCC’s annual fashion-related exhibition, Print Matters, opens on 15 Feb. A linked Brand Korea fashion talk is on 22 Feb.
Other talks and seminars
- EAHRNK offers a chance to hear North Korean refugee Sungju Lee on 1 Feb.
- Victor Cha talks at Chatham House on 4 Feb.
- Ban Ki-moon is in town. You can book to hear him talk on 5 Feb.
- The LSE Students Union hosts their all-day Korea Future Forum on 6 Feb.
- SOAS has a busy month:
- 5 Feb: K-pop and Noh Suntag
- 12 Feb: SOAS’s Save Jeju Society hosts a topical talk on the Comfort Women “deal”
- 19 Feb: Nemo Kim
- 26 Feb: Dr. Hyun Bang Shin
- 29 Feb: Professor Young-mee Yu Cho
- There’s an all-day research event at Chatham House on 12 Feb (invitation only)
- The All Party Parliamentary Group hosts a one-day conference on violence against women in the DPRK on 22 Feb.
- The KCC is screening A Hard Day on 11 Feb. The screening on 25 is yet to be announced.
- The Asia House film fest screens two Korea-related films: the documentary State of Play on 23 Feb and Benson Lee’s Seoul Searching on 27 Feb.
- Kings Place hosts the first of six Korean Sounds concerts on 3 Feb.
- The British Korean Society celebrates the lunar new year with a Baduk evening on 9 Feb.
- If you haven’t booked it yet, you’re too late, but Dok2 is performing on 19 Feb.
- The monthly Sewol silent protest is on 20 Feb.
- The K-pop band HISTORY 히스토리 is performing in Islington on 21 Feb.
On 1 March 2016
- Joo Yeon Sir makes her debut at St Johns Smith Square.
- LKL will be 10 years old.
Best wishes for the Lunar New Year.