The Festival of Korean Dance was a nice warm-up for the Autumn season of events. Now for the music and film.
- Start Art Fair runs from 13 to 17 October
- Round and Around: the KCC’s early Autumn Audio-Visual Project with Jang Minseung and Jung Jaeil, lasts until 22 October.
- London Craft Week runs from 4 to 10 October. Special events include
- A session demystifying the Moon Jar (7 October)
- A conversation with Yeesookyung (7 October)
- A special exhibition of Icheon ceramics at Han Collection
- Talks on preserving Korean pictorial art and the history of hanji by the BM’s conservator, 7 + 14 October
- Translator Janet Hong talks with Phillip Kim about Kwon Yeo-sun’s Lemon on 27 October. Lemon is published on 14 October, LKL review here.
- Ambassador Kim talks about Korea-UK relations on 6 October
- The K-music Festival has four gigs this month
- ADG7 at King’s Place on 6 October
- Kyungso Park / Soona Park / Angharad Jenkins in the Purcell Room on 17 October
- Sinnoi and Dongyang Gozupa at the Coronet Notting Hill on 22 and 23 October
- Black String with Nguyên Lê at Paddington Grand Junction on 28 October
- Seongjin Cho plays the Wigmore on 25 October
- Pianists Songeun Choi and Leah Park present a special concert for Bloomsbury Festival on 21 October
Screenings and film festivals
- The BFI London Film Festival, 7 – 17 October, has one indie Korean movie and half a Netflix TV series
- Speaking of Netflix, has anyone started watching Squid Game to see what everyone’s talking about? I haven’t yet had the time.
- The London East Asia Film Festival (21-31 October) has plenty of Korean interest
- There’s a Korea Day in Coventry on 1 October, with a special art exhibition all month.
- It’s Korean Culture month at Foyles
- The 20th season of K-pop Academy classes begin at the KCC
- The 2021 UK National Kpop Competition is at the Rose Theatre Kingston on 23 October
- Fiction releases this month include Kim Unsu’s Cabinet, Kwon Yeo-sun’s Lemon and Park Sang-young’s Love in the Big City
- Non-fiction titles include The Constitution of South Korea: A Contextual Analysis by Chaihark Hahm and Education in South Korea: Reflections on a Seventy-Year Journey by Won Ki Kim
Note that this post may not be updated for events that we only hear about after the date of posting. Check the upcoming events list for the latest state of play.