As we move into Autumn, it’s getting busier. Here are the October events that we know of so far, and looking forward to November there’s the return of the Mansudae artists from Pyongyang, the London Korean Film Festival, and Judy Joo’s new restaurant in Kingly Street.
- Lee Bul’s solo shows at the KCC in London and Ikon Gallery in Birmingham are both well worth a visit. On all month, with a curators’ talk at the KCC on 20 October.
- Lee Young-bin’s delicate, understated solo show at Purdy Hicks finishes on 6 October.
- Rhii Jewyo’s solo show at Wilkinson Gallery continues until 26 October. LKL’s brief review is here.
- Kang Eemyun’s exhibition at Timothy Taylor Gallery closes on 4 October.
- Yun Sungfeel’s solo show, Fields of Immersion, is at Hanmi Gallery until 10 October, with an artist talk on 9 October.
- Chun Kyungwoo’s solo show, Portraits, opens at HADA Contemporary on 2 October.
- The BFI London Film Festival contains four Korean films screening between 8 and 19 October:
- Hong Sang-soo’s Hill of Freedom
- July Jung’s A Girl at my door (starring Bae Doo-na)
- Kim Seong-Hun’s A Hard Day
- Chang Hyung-Yun animation The Satellite Girl and Milk Cow
- The KCC’s Year of the Film Professionals moves on from music director to the final professional of the year. Based on early information the feature is on the production designer. The first screening on 16 October is Bong Joon-ho’s Memories of Murder, with a further screening on 31 October to be announced. Note that during the Lee Bul show the multi-purpose space is not available for screenings.
Talks, including North Korea
- SOAS’s autumn season has started. 3 October is a book launch event with Kang Byoung-yoong; 17 October will see Andrew Killick talking about Hwang Byung-ki, and a talk by Ambassador Lim on 31 October.
- The All-Party group on North Korea meets on 15 October to discuss North Korea’s weapons programme; EAHRNK’s Forum on North Korean Human Rights and Engagement is on 17 October; and the second of EAHRNK’s North Korean Memoirs events with two defectors is on 29 October.
- There is a curators’ talk on the subject of Lee Bul on 20 October.
- Artist Yun Sungfeel talks about his work at Hanmi Gallery on 9 October.
- The first Daehan TV Drama awards are on 10 October.