Visual arts and exhibitions
- Suh Do-ho’s Bridging Home, London is near Liverpool Street, and Lee Ufan’s Relatum – Stage outside the Serpentine Gallery, at least until the end of the year.
- The Liverpool Biennial (till 28 Oct) and Asia Triennial Manchester (5 – 21 Oct) have plenty of Korean interest
- Yunchul Kim’s Dawns, Mine, Crystal is at the KCC all month
- Shin Yong-il’s Into the Void is at Han Collection until 10 October
- Kim Kulim participates in a group show of 60s and 70s experimental art at David Roberts Art Foundation until 28 October
- Lee Leenam and Hwang Seontae are at Pontone Gallery from 4 October
- Misun Won will be showing her jewellery in the second week of the Goldsmiths Fair, 2-7 October.
- In Sheffield, a performance related to Bongsu Park’s Dream Auction project takes place on 20 Oct.
- The K-Music festival officially launches on 2 October with a very strong line-up:
- The KCC’s House Concert on 23 October features the Salome Quartet.
- BTS perform at the O2 on 9 and 10 October, and, according to the website United Kpop, on the Graham Norton Show on 12 October
- Busan surf-rock stars Say Sue Me perform in Shoreditch on 8 October
Talks, seminars and discussion
- It’s a busy month for artist talks:
- The Yun Posun Memorial Symposium takes place in Edinburgh, 8-9 October
- The KCC’s literature night this month focuses on Jeong You-jeong’s thriller The Good Son, 31 October.
- The BFI London Film Festival will be featuring five Korean films, with the highlight being Lee Chang-dong’s Burning, with a screen talk by the director for which it’s impossible to get tickets.
- The London East Asia Film Festival opens on 25 with Dark Figure of Crime and plenty more besides
- Further ahead, the London Korean Film Festival opens on 1 November.
- There’s a National Day celebration on 8 October.
- The British Korean Society holds its annual House of Commons reception on 18 October
- The final of the UK National Kpop competition will be held in Kingston on 27 October.
- There’s a Cosplay meetup at ExCel on 27 October and a Halloween Kpop party in Piccadilly on 30 October