Publisher: Seoul Selection, 2010.
Link to online store *
The Baekdu-daegan chain of mountains forms the backbone of the Korean Peninsula. It has always occupied a very special place in the hearts of Koreans. More than just a series of rocky ranges, it is the source of the life and dynamic energy of the Korean people and shelters many of their cultural and historical treasures. The long-distance Baekdu-daegan hiking trail provides a great opportunity for outdoor enthusiasts living in Korea and abroad to hike their way through a 735-kilometre geographical repository of culture and history that continuously yields new discoveries and experiences in what is a still largely unexplored part of a busy peninsula. This guide will get you packed up and ready to hit the road.
- Comprehensive and detailed trek-by-trek descriptions of the Baekdu-daegan trail
- Helpful tips to get you ready and confident for hiking
- Detailed maps and transport information
- Cultural and historical background information
- Water source coordinates along the trail for GPS users
There are plenty of photographs, and helpfully all of the peaks and many of the other sights on the trail given in hangeul as well as their romanisation - which helps when you are trying to figure out how to pronounce them and find them on a Korean map. Each section of the walk is described in turn, with maps, an indication of effort and time involved, and information one sources of water. Altogether a pleasant browse for armchair hiking, and no doubt very useful for doing the real thing.
* Where the book is available from a number of sources, they are prioritised as follows: (1) Amazon UK site, or Bookshop.org for the more recent uploads (2) Amazon US site (3) Other sites in US or Europe, including second-hand outlets (4) LTI Korea, where the title is advertised as available from there (5) Onlines stores in Korea. Links to Bookshop.org and Amazon UK site contain an affiliate code which, should you make a purchase, gives a small commission to LKL at no additional cost to you.