Publisher: Routledge, 2020.
Link to online store *
From the publisher’s website:
The revised second edition of Basic Korean: A Grammar and Workbook is an accessible reference grammar and workbook in one volume. The text can be used in conjunction with any primary textbook, both as a practice book to reinforce learning and as a reference guide to the basics of Korean grammar.
This book is comprised of 26 units covering key aspects of Korean grammar students would expect to encounter in their first year learning the language. Grammatical descriptions are followed by examples and exercises which allow students to reinforce and consolidate their learning. This new edition has been updated and enhanced to include more varied exercises and contemporary vocabulary and dialogues.
Clearly presented and user-friendly, Basic Korean provides readers with the essential tools to express themselves in a wide variety of situations, making it an ideal reference grammar and practice resource for both beginners and students with some knowledge of the language.
Table of Contents
- Hangul (the Korean alphabet)
- Characteristics of the Korean language
- Predicates and endings
- The formal speech level and the polite speech level
- The subject case particle 이/가
- The special particle 은/는
- Numbers, ordinals, and plural marker 들
- Counters, the question word 몇, and some time expressions
- The copula 이다/아니다 and the verb of existence and location 있다/없다
- Case particles I: 을/를 and (으)로
- Case particles II: 의, 에, 와/과, (이)랑 and 하고
- Case particles III: 에서, 에게, 한테, 께, 에게서 and 한테서
- Special particles I: 도 and 만
- Special particle II: (이)나, 부터 and 까지
- Past tense and double past tense marker
- Irregular predicates
- Expressing desire ~고 싶다, continuous actions ~고 있다, and continuous states ~어/아 있다
- The endings: ~(으)ㄹ 거예요and ~(으)ㄹ까요?
- Adverbs and adverbials
- The endings: ~(으)ㄹ래요and ~(으)ㄹ게요
- The suffixes: ~겠 and –(으)시
- Sentence-final endings: ~지요, ~군요, ~네요, ~잖아요
Entry on Goodreads.com here.
* Where the book is available from a number of sources, they are prioritised as follows: (1) Amazon UK site, or Bookshop.org for the more recent uploads (2) Amazon US site (3) Other sites in US or Europe, including second-hand outlets (4) LTI Korea, where the title is advertised as available from there (5) Onlines stores in Korea. Links to Bookshop.org and Amazon UK site contain an affiliate code which, should you make a purchase, gives a small commission to LKL at no additional cost to you.