Publisher: Routledge, 2017.
Link to online store *
From the publisher’s website:
Politics and Leadership in North Korea, now fully updated in this second edition, presents an accessible and comprehensive account of North Korea’s political, economic and foreign policies since its creation in 1945. Moving away from media representations of North Korea as dangerously erratic and dysfunctional, Adrian Buzo provides a thorough analysis of Kim Il Sung’s vision for the DPRK and demonstrates the consistency of the successive leaderships’ approach to politics, economics and international affairs.
This second edition has been fully revised and takes into account all the important events of the last fifteen years in North Korea, such as:
- endemic food shortages;
- the steady growth of military emphasis in both politics and ideology;
- the acquisition and continued development of nuclear capabilities;
- the implementation and eventual failure of South Korea’s ‘sunshine policy’;
- the growth of private enterprise and a consumer economy.
As such, it will continue to be an essential resource for students of North Korea, East Asian Politics and International Politics.
Adrian Buzo is a lecturer at Macquarie University, Australia. He previously served in both Seoul and Pyongyang as a diplomat. The first edition of this title was published in 1999
- Approach March: 1912-1950
- The Enemy on All Sides 1950-1970
- The Tide Turns 1970-1980
- Dwindling Options 1980-86
- Tactical Retreat 1987-1994
- Triage – 1994-2004
- Regroup and Strike: 2004-2011
- The Young Marshal Takes Command
- Final Perspectives
Entry on Goodreads.com here.
* Where the book is available from a number of sources, they are prioritised as follows: (1) Amazon UK site, or Bookshop.org for the more recent uploads (2) Amazon US site (3) Other sites in US or Europe, including second-hand outlets (4) LTI Korea, where the title is advertised as available from there (5) Onlines stores in Korea. Links to Bookshop.org and Amazon UK site contain an affiliate code which, should you make a purchase, gives a small commission to LKL at no additional cost to you.