Publisher: Global Oriental, 2010.
Link to online store *
From the publisher’s website:
This book discusses perceptions of ‘femininity’ in contemporary South Korea and the extent to which fictional representations in South Korean women’s fiction of the 1990s challenges the enduring association of the feminine with domesticity, docility and passivity. While existing literature addresses Korean women’s legal, educational, political and employment issues, this study is the first to analyse the cultural values that define femininity in the context of the Korean cultural imagination, concentrating on literary representations of femininity.
Acknowledgements; Language Note; Introduction: Fictions about Women;
1. Traditional Femininities;
2. Korean Women’s Literature and Representations of Femininity;
3. Romanticized Housewives;
4. The Maternal Feminine and Female Genealogies;
5. Female Sexuality;
6. Contesting the Symbolic: The Feminine in the Fantastic;
Beyond Representations: Final Thoughts;
Entry on Goodreads.com here.
* Where the book is available from a number of sources, they are prioritised as follows: (1) Amazon UK site, or Bookshop.org for the more recent uploads (2) Amazon US site (3) Other sites in US or Europe, including second-hand outlets (4) LTI Korea, where the title is advertised as available from there (5) Onlines stores in Korea. Links to Bookshop.org and Amazon UK site contain an affiliate code which, should you make a purchase, gives a small commission to LKL at no additional cost to you.