Publisher: BBC, 1994.
Link to online store *
From the dust jacket:
In Great Journeys of the World, six talented individuals – among them writers and actors, a poet and a musician – embark on journeys of special interest in some of the most spectacular parts of the world.
In Korea, the world’s leading solo percussionist, Evelyn Glennie, explores Korea’s musical culture – particularly percussion playing, and the close links between music, daily life and religion, in which music plays an integral part.
In this book, and the television series which it accompanies, the six travellers reveal much of their own passions and interests as they explore new landscapes and cultures. Illustrated throughout with Tom Owen Edmunds’ magnificent photographs, Great Journeys of the World will entertain all who love to discover more about different or little known peoples and places.
LKL adds: the other five celebrities and their destinations are as follows:
- Actor Ernie Dingo: Kimberley, Western Australia
- Actor Tony Robinson: Caribbean
- Actor Juliet Stevenson: Morocco
- Poet Damian Gorman: Mexico
- Comedienne / writer Sandi Toksvig: Southern Africa
Well worth searching out for Evelyn Glennie's travel journal and her encounters with three major figures in Korea's music scene: Kim Duk-soo, Hwang Byung-ki and Ahn Sook-sun.
* Where the book is available from a number of sources, they are prioritised as follows: (1) Amazon UK site, or Bookshop.org for the more recent uploads (2) Amazon US site (3) Other sites in US or Europe, including second-hand outlets (4) LTI Korea, where the title is advertised as available from there (5) Onlines stores in Korea. Links to Bookshop.org and Amazon UK site contain an affiliate code which, should you make a purchase, gives a small commission to LKL at no additional cost to you.