Publisher: Tuttle, 2014.
Link to online store *
From the publisher’s website:
K-Pop Now! takes a fun look at Korea’s high-energy pop music, and is written for its growing legions of fans. It features all the famous groups and singers and takes an insider’s look at how they have made it to the top.
In 2012, Psy’s song and music video “Gangnam Style” suddenly took the world by storm. But K-Pop, the music of Psy’s homeland of Korea has been winning fans for years with its infectious melodies and high-energy fun. Featuring incredibly attractive and talented singers and eye-popping visuals, K-Pop is the music of now.
Though K-Pop is a relatively young phenomenon in the West, it is rapidly gaining traction and reaching much larger audiences—thanks in large part to social media like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. Top K-Pop acts get ten million to thirty million hits for their videos—the Girls Generation single “Gee” has over a hundred million views!
In K-Pop Now! you’ll find:
- Profiles of all the current K-Pop artists and their hits
- A look at Seoul’s hippest hot spots and hangouts
- Interviews with top artists like Kevin from Ze:A and Brian Joo
- A look at the K-Pop idols of tomorrow
You’ll meet the biggest record producers, the hosts of the insanely popular “Eat Your Kimchi” website, and K-Pop groups like Big Bang, TVXQ, 2NE1, Girls Generation, HOT, SES, FinKL Busker Busker and The Koxx. The book also includes a guide for fans who plan to visit Seoul to explore K-Pop up close and personal.
Join the K-Pop revolution now!
Mark James Russell has been living in Korea since 1996, covering Korean pop culture for such publications as the New York Times, Billboard, and Newsweek. His 2008 book, Pop Goes Korea, looked at how Korea became a pop culture powerhouse.
A fun and informative look at the state of K-pop and some of the most popular bands in 2013
* Where the book is available from a number of sources, they are prioritised as follows: (1) Amazon UK site, or Bookshop.org for the more recent uploads (2) Amazon US site (3) Other sites in US or Europe, including second-hand outlets (4) LTI Korea, where the title is advertised as available from there (5) Onlines stores in Korea. Links to Bookshop.org and Amazon UK site contain an affiliate code which, should you make a purchase, gives a small commission to LKL at no additional cost to you.