Author: Bae-Ho Hahn, Byong-Kyu Woo, Chae-Jin Lee, Chong Lim Kim, Chong-Sik Lee, Dae-Sook Suh, Dong-suh Bark, Glenn D Paige, Ha-Ryong Kim, James B Palais, Sung-Chick Hong, Young Ho Lee
Publisher: University of Washington Press, 2014.
Link to online store *
From the publisher’s website:
Included in this volume are studies of the traditional leadership of the Yi dynasty as well as twentieth-century legislative, party, and bureaucratic leadership, and an evaluation of views of political leaders in South Korea, as well as two studies of the Communist system in North Korea.
Dae-Sook Suh is professor emeritus of political science at the University of Hawaii and former director of the Center for Korean Studies there. He is the author of The Korean Communist Movement, 1918-48. Chae-Jin Lee, Bank of America Professor of Pacific Basin Studies and professor of government at Claremont McKenna College, is the author of Communist China’s Policy toward Laos. Contributors include James B. Palais, Chong Lim Kim, Byong-Kyu Woo, Bae-Ho Hahn, Ha-Ryong Kim, Dong-Suh Bark, Sung-Chick Hong, Young Ho Lee, Chong-Sik Lee, and Glenn D. Paige.
Part One | Traditional Perspectives
- Political Leadership in the Yi Dynasty, by James B. Palais
Part Two | Institutional Context of Leadership
- Legislative Leadership and Democratic Development, by Chong Lim Kim and Byong-Kyu Woo
- Party Bureaucrats and Party Development, by Bae-Ho Hahn and Ha-Ryong Kim
Part Three | Bureaucratic Elite and Popular Perceptions
- Bureaucratic Elite and Development Orientations, by Dong-Suh Bark and Chae-Jin Lee
- Popular Perceptions of Political Leadership, by Sung-Chick Hong and Young Ho Lee
Part Four | Political Leadership in the Communist System
- Communist Party Leadership, by Dae-Sook Suh
- The 1972 Constitution and Top Communist Leaders, by Chong-Sik Lee
Part Five | Concluding Observations
- Toward a Theory of Korean Political Leadership Behavior, by Glenn D. Paige
Appendix: Toward a Political Leadership Profile for a Changing Society, by Glenn D. Paige
Entry on Goodreads.com here.
* Where the book is available from a number of sources, they are prioritised as follows: (1) Amazon UK site, or Bookshop.org for the more recent uploads (2) Amazon US site (3) Other sites in US or Europe, including second-hand outlets (4) LTI Korea, where the title is advertised as available from there (5) Onlines stores in Korea. Links to Bookshop.org and Amazon UK site contain an affiliate code which, should you make a purchase, gives a small commission to LKL at no additional cost to you.