Author: Chang Yong-hak, Choi In-ho, Ha Keun-chan, Hwang Sun-won, Hyeon Jin-geon, Kim Dong-in, Kim Dong-ni, Kim Seung-ok, Shin Sang-ung, Son Chang-seop
Translated by: Kevin O'Rourke
Publisher: Yonsei University Press, 1981.
Link to online store *
Ten Korean Short Stories samples two generations of Korean short stories, bringing to life the first faltering steps of an ancient land entering the modern age, evoking in truly memorable fashion the spirit that stir the hearts of her people. Here is the pain and anguish of people oppressed by the conqueror, the tragedy of civil war and partition, the struggle for meaning in post-war society, Korea yesterday, today, tomorrow.
- The Suffering of Two Generation by Ha Keun-chan;
- The Rock by Kim Tong-ni;
- Record of a Journey to Mujin by Kim Seung-ok;
- Potatoes by Kim Tong-in;
- Pyon’s Death by Shin Sang-ung;
- Cranes by Hwang Sun-won;
- A Washed Out Dream by Son Chang-sop;
- The Poetry of John by Chang Yong-hak;
- A Lucky Day by Hyon Jin-gon;
- Another Man’s Room by Choe In-ho.
Entry on Goodreads.com here.
* Where the book is available from a number of sources, they are prioritised as follows: (1) Amazon UK site, or Bookshop.org for the more recent uploads (2) Amazon US site (3) Other sites in US or Europe, including second-hand outlets (4) LTI Korea, where the title is advertised as available from there (5) Onlines stores in Korea. Links to Bookshop.org and Amazon UK site contain an affiliate code which, should you make a purchase, gives a small commission to LKL at no additional cost to you.